Frequently Asked Questions

Can I be arrested for moving with my child or just told to move back?

Parental child abduction is a criminal offence under Canadian law. Section 282 of the criminal code makes it an offence when there is a custody order, and section 283 whether or not there is a custody order. Charges are not always laid, at the request of the left behind parent. Criminal charges can be useful in that it would enable a Canada wide arrest warrant to be issued. It would also allow Interpol to be alerted. Interpol can issue a “yellow notice’ that there is a missing child, and a “red notice” for the abductor’s arrest.

Schedule your 30 Minute Consultation Today Contact Us

Back to Top