Frequently Asked Questions

What should a parent do if they discover that their former partner has left the jurisdiction with or without their permission with a child but has learned that the parent has no intention of coming back with the child – what are the first steps a parent should take?

  • Contact the other parent, friends or family;
  • Seek the assistance of consular services (foreign affairs);
  • Contact experienced counsel.
  • Contact the police.
  • Contact an ngo such as “the missing children society of Canada.”
  • Try to identify the whereabouts of the child.
  • If the child is in a Hague convention country contact the central authority to commence court proceedings for return.
  • If the child is in a non-Hague abduction convention country seek voluntary return, custody proceedings in the foreign court, or “options requiring thinking outside the box.”

Schedule your 30 Minute Consultation Today Contact Us

Back to Top